Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy 2009

Some of you know that I don't do resolutions, at least not anymore. In years past, I would make LENGTHY lists of a zillion goals in all areas of my life. But really, those lists only served to point out just how lacking my life currently was, and well, that's not me either. My life is generally pretty great, and I'm filled with gratitude for that. Listing all the ways I need to improve myself seemed to fly in the face of that. Not that I don't need improvement.....don't we all? But, well, big lists just brought me down, especially when it's cold and dreary outside. Made me want to go back to bed until spring!

So, now I do a motto for the year. It's easier to remember and attempt to live by a simple phrase than it is to deal with checklists about organizing my house, catching up on my scrapbooks, losing 20 lbs, and solving world hunger, kwim?
This year's motto is....

(drum roll please).....

Assume The Best

It sounds so simple, doesn't it? And yet, I know that I tend to assume the worst. I assume that the clerk will be a pain about the return I'm making, or the insurance company will cause me trouble, or that statement was intended as an insult, or that generic phrase someone said in blog, email, or chat was about ME. Obviously, those things do happen. But, more often than not, they don't. So, I'm going into this year assuming the best from the people around me, from circumstances, and from myself.

Happy 2009!

No comments:

Post a Comment