Alana wandered in at 5:45 and asked, in a stage whisper, "Mom? What time is it?" I mumbled something incoherent about 'not time to get up yet' and sent her back to bed. They all got up not long after that, and began arguing shortly thereafter. My dad asked me why they were arguing......the short answer is because there are 3 of them and it's what they do!
They "crept in" to our room, which means that there was a lot of stage-whispers and giggles as they stumbled around our room to the sides of the bed, where they then shouted "MERRY CHRISTMAS" at the tops of their lungs. And then they made us get up!
We opened our stocking stuff and started in on the presents.
We got the family a Wii. The kids didn't have even the slightest inkling that we were doing this because we've sworn up and down that we would not ever have any kind of video game system. The Wii is different, as everyone now knows, so we relented and got it.
In the meantime, my mom (Nana) got the kids 2 Wii games each, plus an ornament and a suitcase. (Yes, we asked for the suitcases, but there's more to that story, of course). Tristan opened his box from Nana and pulled out his games, completely baffled. "Uh, mom? Why did I get these?"
Bruce: Oh, dear. Nana must've been confused! She must've thought those were movies or computer games or something. Don't worry, we'll exchange them.
Shannon, of course, starts to see what's happening pretty quick (she's a perceptive thing, even when stuff isn't this obvious).
Then, Alana opened her package from Nana and found her 2 games.
Bruce: Wow! Nana's having a tough time, isn't she? She must be *really* confused!
Now Shannon is rocking back and forth, heel to toe, saying "We got a Wii. I know it! It's in that bag right there (a back I wouldn't let them open right away)"
No, it there is no Wii in that bag. And that was the truth. That bag contained a second Wii controller and a charging station, but there was, in fact, no Wii!
Tristan tells me I'm lying because I'm smiling. It's Christmas! I'm allowed to smile.
Shannon opens her gift from Nana, and we continued to play the "poor confused Nana" game, because, by now, it's kinda fun! Then I get to my gift from my parents......the Wii Fit. Now, there's no way I can pass that one off, so, as soon as I realized what it was, I covered the corner back up and let it sit.
The excitement is building....the kids have the one final gift with the giant bow on it and they can't STAND it! They were pretty sure they knew what was in there, but you could see the little "what if it's really NOT a Wii?" thoughts on their faces.....so much fun!
So, of course, it was a Wii. We got it installed, and then Bruce wanted to get it hooked up to the Internet since we've already got the wireless router. In that process, he broke the internet! That took 2 days to fix, and another day of getting my laptop connected to the LAN so I could print and have access to the other two computers. I could get online, just not to the machine 10 feet away. Go figure! *rolling eyes*
We had some friends come over for Christmas dinner, and that was fun and mostly relaxing. I made turkey and all the trimmings, though I don't know that I'll do another one anytime soon. It's not hard, it's just a huge PITA to get everything on the table at the same time! Ham in a crock pot and potato casserole in another crock pot is SO much easier!
The Wii Fit is really fun. Bruce played the balance game where you're trying to 'head' soccer balls. But then the Miis start throwing SHOES and panda bears (why is there a panda bear on a soccer field?!), so you're dodging those, but hitting the other ones. Hysterically funny! I did some of the aerobics yesterday. The hula hoop game is lots of fun, and probably very good for my core. I also like the step aerobics, but I'd like it to go faster....maybe that's a game I'll "unlock" as I log more time on it. There are balance games, like a tight-rope walker, and yoga, though they do most of the yoga poses wrong and that bugs me. But, all in all, it's fun!
Bruce got me an MP3 player. I like it, just haven't really figured out how to use it. I have a hard time with all this electronic media stuff. If I can't touch it, is it real? I do that with photos too. I need to play with it some more, but I've been busy finishing neighbor gifts and mailing out the
I got Bruce a GPS, one of the "never lost" types, with street maps and so forth. He's mentioned over and over how much he likes those in rental cars. I know he'd like one of the outdoorsy types too, for galavanting all over this great state of ours, but they don't seem to make one that does both. So, he'll get the other one for his birthday. I got a SCREAMING deal on this one. It's a Garmin 750 (I think that's the right number) that I got at Costco.com for $200. MSRP is $400. I did the research and knew that I wanted one that says "Turn left on Pine Street in 500 ft" rather than "turn left in 500 feet." And, it has all kinds of great features....he can load MP3 stuff on there, so he can listen to books with it and whatnot too. Of course, he opens it and says "This doesn't have a monthly fee, does it?" ARGH! You're welcome for your wonderful present! Men!
Now we're cleaning up from Christmas and catching up on the laundry. You know how much I *love* that! LOL!
No comments:
Post a Comment