Monday, January 26, 2009

Success!

I made vegetable broth! Without a recipe or much guidance (my cookbook only does meat broths)! But, I winged it (wung it?) and it turned out pretty good! I threw in just about every veggie I had in the fridge, except the cucumbers which somehow didn't seem like a good idea in there.....

Anyway, I put in:
1 onion, chunked
2 potatos
1 large handful of baby carrots
2 small zucchini, chunked
4 stalks of celery
4 cloves of garlic (at least)
12 crimini mushrooms, chunked
1 t salt

I probably had about 8 cups of water in there, maybe more? Then I got it boiling and let it cook for 6 hours or so, covered. And guess what? It's GOOD! Heck, I've had chicken broth turn out weaker than this stuff. Now I'm using some of it to make some veggie rice soup for dinner for me. I really could drink this, just as it is. Of course, I've got a cold and a sore throat, so maybe that's why I want to dump it in a mug, curl up with a book and just veg (with my veg-broth! *giggle*)

1 comment:

  1. Um. YUM! :) Sounds really good. I use carrots, celery and onion for all my soup bases, pretty much. "The holy trinity." *grin* Sounds like a good, simple base and you could add whatever you wanted to it... zucchini, squash, peppers, corn, the list goes on and on. For that matter, it's a simple enough base, you could make a faux mexican tortilla soup by adding some stewed tomatoes, salsa, etc. Sprinkle with fried tortilla strips (tortillas are not leavened are they??) and viola.

    ReplyDelete