I don't know about you, but I have this idea that I need to wait until a traditional moment to start something new--a Monday, first of the month, New Year's, etc. Recently, the thought struck me....Why?
Why do I wait to make those changes until next week or next month, or even tomorrow? What is that about?
I think some of it is pure laziness. I know I probably shouldn't eat yet another turnover or piece of chocolate, but I'll give it all up for Lent. I know I should probably quit after the first hour of Facebook games (I wish I were kidding), but inertia has taken over so I'll do that tomorrow.
And maybe it's a chance to give myself permission to be naughty for now and be good later. I don't know. I really haven't figured out why I do it.
So in the last few weeks, I've been trying to start NOW rather than waiting to make a good choice tomorrow. It's not working all the time, but it is helping. When I hear myself thinking "I'll change that tomorrow/next week," I stop and ask myself why I'm waiting. it's all a process, and I sure wish someone could answer the million dollar question of why it's easier to break good habits than it is to break bad habits? What is that about?
No comments:
Post a Comment