Tuesday, September 4, 2012

So Nervous!

This fall, I got really brave and applied to be a reporter for a small local monthly newspaper.  Bruce actually saw the article that said they were looking for writers and left it for me on my computer.  I hemmed and hawed around about it, then took the plunge and applied.  I had to create a resume, something I haven't done in at least 10 years (probably closer to 15), plus submit writing samples.

I nearly fell over when I got an interview.  She likes me!  She really likes me!  LOL! 

And then I got the job!  I was astounded.  That sounds ridiculous, I suppose.  I like to write and I think I'm good at it, but the idea that other people want to read what I write is still new to me. 

Today I submitted my first two stories.  And I'm sooooo nervous about them.  It's all those self-doubts creeping in.  What if I'm terrible?  What if she doesn't like it?  What will I do when I see all that red ink splashed across my computer screen?  Gah!!! 

I'm sure I made some mistakes.  I've already learned a lot.  Talking to people was fun.  One story is about the busiest fire station in the county system.  While I was at the station interviewing the battalion chief, they got an ambulance call, and they invited me to go along!  That was absolutely fascinating! 

But will she like what I wrote????? 

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! You'll have to share your articles with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The articles went well, and I enjoyed meeting lots of people, but the stress of deadlines and such nearly drove me out of my mind and I wound up quitting just a couple of months after I started. I feel bad about that, at least for my boss who had to find a new reporter during the holidays, but it was, without a doubt, the best decision for myself and my family.

    ReplyDelete