As some of you know, we were honored to host our neighbor's wedding reception in our back yard. She asked us when they got engaged and we were thrilled to say yes. Little did we know what we were getting into......
The neighbors hired a wedding coordinator. Now, I know this is a profession that serves many people quite happily, but for smaller weddings, I've never really seen the point. Since it wasn't my wedding, and they didn't ask my opinion, I kept my mouth shut.
At first glance, she seemed nice enough. Wedding Coordinator (WC) had a bit of a challenge since the MOTB had her ideas about things and the Bride had some very definite ideas of her own. WC was trying to balance between the two, though it got crazy. Seriously, the Bride wanted to invite people they actually knew. The MOTB invited the hairdresser's nephew's best friend! Estimates on how many guests varied from 75 (Bride) to 400 (MOTB). In actuality, there were probably about 200 people at the reception.
So, about a week before the wedding, we got a rather condescending email from WC. In it, she went over some of the things we'd discussed, like moving the boat trailer and the camping trailer out of the way. But she also mentioned that the dog mess needed to be taken care of, or did she need to send her "staff" to do that? And, did I make plans for the "family animals" during the event? Nah....I figured we'd let Psycho and Scaredy Butt run loose amongst all those people and the food! *rolling eyes*
She told me that they needed my refrigerator empty and everything removed from my counter tops. I told her that I wasn't moving the microwave and she could have 2 shelves and a drawer.
This email also mentioned that the lighting guy wanted to be climbing on my roof and did we have a ladder for that? When I asked if the lighting guy was insured, she got a bit put out! But she did email me and say that he was insured......I doubt it, but I did my due diligence. Thankfully, lighting guy didn't fall off (or thru) the roof, so that wasn't a problem. The email did not mention grills or trash. This is important for later.
The happy couple got married at a nearby Temple (they're LDS/Mormon) on Friday. I was at the Temple when they came out and I attended the meal afterward at WC's house. After dinner, as I was leaving, WC told me that her staff would be at my house at 8:00 the next morning and she would be there between 8 and 9.
Saturday morning, I got up around 7:30. This is not something I do willingly. Ever. And especially not on a summer Saturday. Seriously, something had better be on FIRE for me to be up at that hour.
You can guess the next part, right?
She didn't show up.
Not at 8....or 9....or 10.
At 11, Bruce and FOTB went over to her house to get the tables and chairs from the party the night before and bring them over here. Oh, there's been a change of plans. Lighting guy can't be there until 4, so that's when we're coming. WC didn't call because it happened late at night. Oooookay.....
What lighting guy has to do with when she arrives is beyond me. And there was no phone call, email, or text message to anyone. Yes, she had all that information.
Strike 1.
I went to pick up Tristan at 4:30. WC is NOT at the house yet.
Strike 2.
When I got home around 5:00, WC is in the back yard having a temper tantrum. She's shouting at her "staff" and the various and sundry neighbors and family members who are trying to get the chairs and tables set up. "We are running behind, so I'm going to repeat myself for the fourth time! The chairs go in conversation semi-circles of 8....."
Strike 3.
At that point, I was so furious that I was ready to throw her off my property and do it myself. Just who does she think she is? Yelling at people who are there to help and talking to them about running behind?!
Then Bruce told me that they'd arrived, with a Uhaul full of stuff, and WC, the only person who knows the plan, went across the street to do hair. When they finally went to get her to answer all the "what's the plan?" questions, she went on her tirade.
I ran to the local granola store to buy a gluten free cake for Shannon since it appeared that they'd forgotten. I wasn't particularly irritated by that, except that we'd be told there would be gluten free cupcakes so I hadn't worried about it.
Seriously, it all went down hill from there. The kabobs were all cut up, but not skewered, so the "staff," of teenage boys were doing that. She'd made crepes, but not in the flavors the bride requested. She'd prepped fresh peaches and strawberries for those as well, and she was making fresh whipped cream for those before the party.
"Where are the grills?" Um, what grills? Apparently we were supposed to have borrowed the mondo grills from the Boy Scouts for this shindig. I vaguely remember making the offer back in June, but she waved it off saying she'd rent them, so we didn't have them. So, with less than an hour before the reception, we're frantically borrowing grills from the neighbors.
We ran out of crepes pretty quickly, and Shannon heard her say "I made crepes for 300 people. It's not MY fault people took more than one. I'm not making more!"
The kabobs seemed to take forever to cook, though WC hadn't wanted to start them before the party started at 7:00.
Half of the cupcakes weren't frosted. It turned out that she'd planned to make cream cheese frosting and frost all 150 of them at my house, sometime between 4:00 and 8:00. Except. Yeah. She was busy doing the decorating and putting out sauces for the kabobs and on and on and on.
Essentially, she bit off way more than she could chew and she was not prepared for the reception. One neighbor spent the entire evening in the kitchen, helping with whatever she could. It was unbelievable.
Then they wanted to know what we were going to do with all the trash? Excuse me? What are WE doing with the trash? You're taking it with you! WC's husband said "Well, I guess we'll have to find a dumpster somewhere for this trash." Great, add theft of services to the list.
At the end of the night, WC kept promising they'd leave food for us (didn't happen) and they decided that the *only* thing that went wrong was that they'd left the gluten free cupcakes at their house by mistake.
Really? That's the ONLY thing?!
On the upside, we got lots of compliments about the party. The vast majority of the guests had NO idea what was happening behind the scenes.
Other gems we overheard "Well, everything was going fine until Bride talked to people and turned them against me." Nope. Your tantrum in my back yard is what did it for me.
Sheesh! For the amount of money they paid her, we could've hired a caterer and done the decorating ourselves. It would've been a lot less stress all the way around. We still have an extension cord that belongs to the lighting guy, but WC won't return our emails so we can't get it back to him.
And the final problem, Psycho (the old and crochetty dog) got bit on the ear by one of the neighbor dogs while he was hanging out over there. At the vet on Monday, she called him a drama queen, for the way he was acting about how much it hurt! I laughed cuz it's true! So he had 10 days worth of antibiotics to clear that up. It was just the final straw in the whole thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment