Saturday, March 5, 2011

Looking forward to Lent

This year I didn't really get around to New Year's resolutions. I've got a list as long as my arm of things I'd like to improve, and I'm working more on monthly goals, but there has been a conspicuous absence of resolutions as such.

Enter Lent. I'm actually EXCITED about Lent this year! It's like I've finally caught up to the new year and am working on goals and resolutions. Or maybe I'm reframing my "year" into a religious context? From a theological/church standpoint, I've still got it wrong since the liturgical year begins with Advent (before Christmas), but I think it's still okay. God welcomes our awakenings whenever they happen, and I feel like I'm on the cusp of mine.

Since my post about how busy life always is, I've pretty much stopped complaining about how busy things are. Life is good; really good, with jobs for everyone, worthwhile activities for all of us, and friends and family who care.

Back to Lent.......As many of you know, I give up things for Lent. It's a tradition that goes back centuries, when folks gave up something to commemorate the 40 days Jesus spent in the desert, being tempted by the devil, in preparation for Easter, which truly is the point of Chrisitianity. The older I get, the more seriously I take Lent. And it seems my children are getting the idea too. Last year, Tristan gave up soda. This year Alana is talking about giving up something (I suggested whining, but that only made her whine). Shannon, jokester that she is, has already decided to give up gluten! Which takes me on another tangent.....a friend of Shannon's at church is going gluten-free for Lent. She said, "If Shannon has to do this all the time, I can do it for 6 weeks!" The young lady is 12. Yeah....WOW!

See? Lent can be a powerful thing. And I'm hoping it'll be powerful in my life too. I need a jolt or 12. I'm giving up my usual soda and junk food, to be replaced by iced tea and crunchy healthy stuff like nuts or veggies. I haven't decided if popcorn is junk food or not. I suppose it depends on just what's on the popcorn.

I'm also giving up computer games. I added this one a few years ago, but found myself cheating out of habit. I'd simply click over the the game and be playing before I knew it. It was automatic, habitual, and completely brainless. All of the things I'm trying to reprogram. In place of computer games, I'm cleaning out closets, cupboards, and kids' rooms. And reading. Reading the Bible, reading for pleasure, reading for inspiration. And crafting. I think I spend waaaay more time playing games than I realize, and I'm hoping that this 40 days will be the reboot I need to break habits and move on into the life I *really* want.

No comments:

Post a Comment