I recently read a book that I really enjoyed. It's not a literary masterpiece, but it was a fun, entertaining read. The book? Twenties Girl by Sophia Kinsella. The author is more well-known for her Shopaholic series, I guess, but I'd never heard of her until this book came up for my book club.
The main charactor in the book is a young woman who's great-aunt has recently died. This young lady's life is in a bit of a mess, in large part because she's not being true to herself, nor is she trusting her instincts. Actually, she's got her head buried in the sand and has no idea that her instincts are even there!
But really, that's not the point of this post. In the book, the great-aunt's ghost haunts her because Sophie (the aunt) needs her necklace back. She doesn't know why she needs it, just that she can't rest until she's got it back. When the niece asks what's so special about the blasted necklace, all Sophie can say is "I felt beautiful when I wore it."
That got me thinking. Do I have something that makes me feel beautiful when I wear it? That seems a bit shallow, but really, I'm a girl, and girls like to feel beautiful. And feeling beautiful makes me feel more confident, energized, and happier. I think that's true for most of us female types.
The necklace in the book wasn't anything special, really. It had pretty beads and a lovely pendant hanging from it. I don't recall if it was real stones or just glass beads. And that's part of the point. Whatever makes you feel beautiful is the point. It doesn't have to be expensive or fancy. It just have to have some meaning for you. So, I challenged myself and my book club to find that special *something* that makes you feel pretty; that something that is "you;" that special thing that becomes part of your signature.
No comments:
Post a Comment