Thursday, May 7, 2009

They say it's a process

and, Lord, how I hate that cliche. Especially since it seems to be true. I hate hate hate being a cliche!

So, this GF thing has started to normalize in our house. At first, all I could see were the myriad of things Shannon couldn't have....the bread and pasta and cookies and doughnuts and tortillas. Side dishes with dinner are still a struggle for me and I'm actually considering canning my own potatoes in an effort to speed up the dinner process.

But, now I see the tremendous number of things Shannon CAN eat. She can't have baked goods, and that's a pain in the backside. The pizza thing was a bit of a let down. The bread thing is frustrating and discouraging at times. But she's never been a picky eater, and we've found lots of things that she really likes. I've found lots of companies who clearly label their products--Kraft, Heinz, Nabisco, Feneral Mills, M & M Marsy, Nestle and Frito-Lay. More and more companies are getting on the labelling bandwagon, making my life much easier. Even Walmart's generic products are labelled well, and both their soy sauce and Worchestershire sauce are GF.

We've found some wonderful crackers made with Almond Flour from Blue Diamond. They're about $3 a box, which is a normal cracker price. I never pay that for regular crackers, but wait until they go on sale and stock up, so that's still a bit high for me, but Shannon loves them and I'm watching for sales on those too.

And, I found the cutest book at the library. It's called The Gluten Free Kid by Melissa London. It's actually a true story that started as a 12 yo's school project. Her parents took the idea and ran with it, publishing a book about Celiac disease for kids. Shannon loves this book! I'll be taking my Borders 40% off coupon and buying it, that's for sure.

So, today's a good day. Mostly anyway. I'll be baking another round of bread and hoping it turns out. If not, I've got a couple other recipes waiting to try, including a recipe for rolls that could be used for hamburger and hot dog buns. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment