Tristan is going camping this weekend with his Scout troop, and Bruce isn't going with him. This is the first time he's been away from us since his diabetes diagnosis.
On the one hand, I *know* this will be good for him. He needs to get out and do things on his own.
On the other hand, I'm a nervous wreck! There's still a part of me that wants to bubble wrap him and keep him in his room forever. *sigh*
His Scout leaders have had a class about the diabetes from a doctor friend, so they know the basics, and we trust them. Tristan is pretty good about taking care of himself, but he's nervous too.
And they're going to the middle of nowhere (there's a lot of that in Utah). Bruce says "they're only 2 miles off the paved road." Um, yeah, and said paved road is at least 60 miles from the nearest medical help, and probably 20 miles from cell phone service!
It should be a fun campout. They're going to Topaz Mountain, which has lots of fun rock-hounding including topaz. They're working on their geology merit badge, though Tristan already has that one. Tristan will also be doing some leadership training, which will be very good for him.
All in all, I *know* this will be good for him, and, in all honesty, me too. But I'm still worried about him.
Good thing I've got so much to do this weekend with National Scrapbook Day.
Update: He had a blast! He came home dirty, smelly, and slightly sunburned with a tiny pile of topaz from the mountain. He said he enjoyed himself and no one nagged him too much. It was definitely good for him to go, and good for me too.
*hug* You're allowed to be nervous. You'd be sort of strange if you weren't! I'm proud of you for having confidence in your kiddo and his leaders. They'll do their best for him (as always!) and you know he'll do his best for himself!
ReplyDeleteHang in there, mama. Things will come easier and more naturally with practice!