Okay, so the giant box of Shannon's supplies arrived today. They sent the wrong syringes, and the wrong test strips. This should be easy to fix, right? WRONG.
The prescription for the syringes clearly states that they need to have 1/2 unit markings. They sent me 800 syringes with just unit markings. They're going to fix that.
They also sent the wrong test strips. 800 wrong test strips, at a cost of $700 to the insurance (we pay 10% of that). But, see, the prescription says "One Touch Test Strips," so they sent the basic strips. Nowhere on the prescription does it say "One Touch Ultra Mini" and the doctor wrote that they have to be brand-name. Great, just great.
Here's the problem with that logic. Test strips are an OTC product. Anyone can walk up to any pharmacy and buy them. Considering their astronomical cost, I don't know why you'd do that, but you could. So, when talking to Customer Service right after we placed the order, she said "One touch," and I said, "No, One Touch Ultra Mini." She repeated it back to me. But since the doctor only wrote the brand name, I'm stuck.
Okay, so we'll just find a meter that works with these strips. I go to the company website. Guess what? THEY DON'T MAKE THOSE METERS ANYMORE!!! Nope, they're off the market. There's one, maybe, that we can get, but it takes *45* seconds to get your results. Are you kidding me?! Our meters take *5* seconds. WTF?!?!
At the moment, we're screwed. The insurance has already paid for a 90-day supply of these things. They're not going to pay for another set of the correct stuff. And the mail-order pharmacy isn't going to admit they did anything wrong. Of course, they didn't.....they just didn't bother to use their heads.
WHAT WOULD A NEWLY-DIAGNOSED DIABETIC CHILD BE DOING WITH A METER THAT IS NO LONGER ON THE MARKET?! But, of course, they didn't bother to ask themselves that question and contact us for clarification (clearly that wouldn't have made a difference since I did, in fact, clarify it). Nope. They just followed orders.
Makes me wonder what would happen if I ordered meds that would counteract each other or cause an adverse reaction when taken together.
I wonder if it's illegal to sell test strips online? (No, I won't be selling the syringes!)
No comments:
Post a Comment