Monday, March 23, 2009

Shannon's home from the hospital

Well, we're home now and she's going back to school tomorrow. We met with the school nurse and her teacher and have a tentative plan for testing, snacking, and giving herself shots. Since it's not all "official," I have to take the insulin in to her at lunch time. Once the doctor signs the forms, she can keep it with her.

Her teacher is AWESOME and so is pretty much everyone at her school. Word travelled pretty fast today, which happens in a school that's as close-knit as ours is. She's only got school through Thursday this week and then we're off all of next week. For now, I'll go in at lunch and provide support for her. I'll be doing that as long as she needs me to.

In other news, it appears that she probably has Celiac disease as well. They routinely screen newly diagnosed diabetics for it and something else (I can't remember the other thing) because it often goes hand-in-hand with diabetes. She's got a pretty high number on whatever the blood test was, so I have to take her in to the Pediatric GI clinic where they'll run another test to confirm it. Then I get to begin the gluten-free adventure.

We'll be getting Alana screened as well, as soon as we can. There is a blood test they can do that would indicate whether or not she's got a predisposition for diabetes so we'll know to watch her. Regardless, I'll keep an eye on her, but it would be good to know that she's probably NOT going to get diabetes.

I'm hanging in there and keeping myself VERY busy. I'm really afraid to let go because I'm not sure I'll be able to pull myself back together. I KNOW that I've only made it this far through prayer and the strength of my friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment