Well, I've now heard from my insurance company and the company of the man who hit me.
My insurance company is handling the immediate repairs and such, moved the van from the tow lot to the body shop, etc. It's easier, I guess, and faster to get it started this way and then have the two insurance companies work out who owes whom.
I have a rental car, but the policy on my van didn't include this coverage. I'm not sure when we dropped it, but we did. So we may be out the cost of the rental car, *if* there are issues with how much each party is at fault.
Bruce seems to be thoroughly convinced we're going to get scr*wed. I'm thoroughly convinced we're going to get a fair and accurate settlement. So, naturally he's driving me BONKERS! Good thing he's swamped at work and essentially must let me handle it or I'd have to strangle him.
My insurance said that much of this hinges on what the lead car says....if they felt only one impact, then it's very clear that I was pushed into him. If they felt two separate impacts, then I hit them first and then was hit. Of course, I did NOT hit them (much to my relief) until I was hit from behind. This is further complicated by the fact that the driver that hit me is from Oregon and his insurance company has been unable to reach him, probably because he's here on vacation or something.
My mother is a bit, um, condescending about how I don't have the phone numbers for the other drivers. The police officer handed me a lovely print out with lots of info on it, and I assumed it included necessary contact information. All of our street addresses were left off, and there were no phone numbers. When mom realized that I didn't have the numbers, she got rather snotty about it. I do have the phone number of the police officer.....wonder if he has more info?
In the meantime, my knee is turning pretty colors and it's sore, but not horribly bad. Saturday night was the worst, so I'm sure it's healing nicely.
The gentleman who sold us the Pilot called to talk about a couple of things we added to it, including a trailer brake. Well, the trailer stuff the dealership ASSURED us included the brake did not, in fact, include the brake (a trailer brake sends a signal to the trailer whenever the truck's brakes are applied so that the trailer's brakes are also applied....it's easier to have the rear vehicle slowing you down, rather than having the truck doing all the slowing....hope that makes sense). So, the dealership is paying for a trailer place to install the brake they promised us. Now he knows about our accident so he's looking for a used van for us. I need to be able to haul kids and soccer balls and things. We won't know anything about the van, totalling it, settlement or any of that until the end of the week at the earliest.
But, everyone's been exceedingly kind and considerate and I'm, so far, very impressed with our insurance.
Continued prayers for a speedy and fair resolution would be appreciated.
PS....Mom goes home tomorrow, about a day past driving me completely, utterly, bat-poo CRAZY!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment