1. My family is
more and less capable than I thought. On
the one hand, they pulled together and things worked out. On the other hand, lots of things that I
normally do weren't done and no one really seemed to notice that they needed
doing until it directly impacted them.
Bruce had to be more of a parent because I couldn't, for
any reason, leave my job, if the kids needed something. He had to make and keep orthodontist
appointments for the girls, for instance.
Thankfully, his job is pretty flexible and he could take care of things.
The kids became more inter-dependant, leaning on each
other, because I wasn't as available.
Shannon helped Alana finish up a poster for her county report. Tristan helped Shannon with her math homework
(that one probably would've happened anyway because it's been a loooong time
since either of her parents have done that stuff). They also became even more independent, as
well, solving problems on their own.
Some of that made me feel guilty, but then again, they have to grow up
eventually.
Now, the laundry and much of the cleaning fell to the
wayside. It seemed as if I was the only
one truly aware of how underwear gets from the hamper back into the
drawers. While they all have an idea of
how this happens, planning for it is apparently impossible for anyone but
me. *sigh*
There were numerous cooking "experiments" that
went awry, and I have to say that grocery shopping in the evenings or on the
weekends was a huge challenge. I like
showing up to a nearly-empty store on a Tuesday morning, thankyouverymuch.
2. I drive a lot
less when I'm working. I usually average
a tank of gas per week. While working,
that went to about a tank every two weeks.
So, while I felt guilty driving the mile to the school every morning
rather than walking, in the end I used far less gas.
3. I also spend
less money when I'm working. Payday
would come and go and the money just hung out in my account.
4. However, my
drinking increased quite a bit. I often
had one of my "alcho-pops" while grading papers or inputting things
into the computer. The bottles piled up
to prove it.
5. One would think
that I'd eat less and potentially lose weight, being on a stricter
schedule. Notsomuch. I'd have my smoothie for breakfast, a snack
during morning recess, lunch, and then a snack after school, plus dinner. I don't think I ate too much junk because I
tried to keep healthy snacks as my only option, but I didn't lose any
weight. However, I didn't gain any
either.
Would I do it again?
I don't really know.
No comments:
Post a Comment