Okay, really? Really? This tradition has never made much sense to me. I'm sure there's some history I haven't bothered to look up, but still (note to self: find out origins of Groundhogs as weathermen).
First, I read or heard somewhere that people actually decide days ahead of time if the critter is going to see his shadow or not. So much for the creature doing any kind of predicting. Not to mention that he's on the East Coast and he's predicting something for the entire country?
I also read that he's been right about 40% of the time. He's got a 50/50 shot and he's wrong more than half the time. So why are we making a fuss about all of this?
Then there's the whole event. The critter is SLEEPING in his nice warm den, minding his own business, when some dude in a fancy coat and leather gloves reaches in there and pulls him out. And they're surprised when he bites?!
I'm not a groundhog, but my family knows that if they bug me while I'm sleeping and warm on a chilly February day, they're going to get bitten! And I don't even have overgrown teeth to do it with! Sheesh!
No comments:
Post a Comment