Tuesday, October 18, 2011

It's a God thing!

This past weekend was my annual Croptoberfest. It's one of two big crops I do every year--National Scrapbook Day in the spring and Croptoberfest in the fall. After a long and sometimes dry summer, Croptoberfest often jumpstarts my fall selling season and helps keep my business going.

This year, I was worried. I was still in the hole after having my purse stolen, and at the last minute, one of my regulars had to cancel. She usually brings a friend or two, so that left me down at least two attendees. I was worried. I had only three paying guests, plus one more who won a basket I donated to a church fundraiser.

So, I figured I'd do my best. I could still put on the event and make that profitable, though whether or not I could climb out of my hole was another matter all together.

Saturday morning, I lay awake fussing about all of this. I prayed for God to either bless my business or slam the door in my face, wondering if it was time to hang it up. I don't want to. I love being a consultant! But, I also know that I've sometimes held on to things longer than I should have, so I was asking for a sign or something to let me know which way I needed to go.

As I was preparing for the day, I got a phone call. I'd donated another basket to another fundraiser at a local elementary school. There were some tools in there that a former-consultant-friend (Thanks Allie!) had given me, plus two tickets to Croptoberfest. At the time I'd figured that people were more likely to come if they could bring a friend. I mean, really.....it's an invite to an event in a stranger's home.

Anyway....Caller's mother had bought the basket and she and her sister had just found out about it Saturday morning. Could they still come for a bit? Um SURE!

They were only able to come for a few hours, but they really enjoyed themselves and they plan to be back. Seems they used to scrap together once a month at a local scrapbooking store that has since gone out of business and they really miss it. I have to give a shout-out to my wonderful clients/friends, too, who included these new people into the group and really encouraged them to come again, mentioning my open house and what I do there, plus the fun we have at my monthly crops. The wine glasses put our new friends at ease as well....I guess they were worried that we'd be uptight Mormons who'd object to their coffee! ROFL!

And, I am now completely in the black! That feels SO good!

Thanks, Big Guy, for that sign. I sure needed that boost of confidence!

No comments:

Post a Comment